Facade Enhancement Grant Program
- The Facade Enhancement Grant Program is a matching grant designed for facade improvements that enhance the historic character of historic properties. It is not a remodeling program or a beautification program; historic rehabilitation must be the intent.
- Funding has been appropriated from the City’s LB840 Economic Development program for incentives for downtown historic business owners and other downtown improvements.
- Buildings eligible for this incentive must be in the expanded Historic Downtown District or other designated areas as defined by the Sidney City Council.
- The incentive program will allocate up to $20,000 in matching funds per building structure for exterior only work done on historic buildings that would enhance and restore the historic appearance of the building making the district more attractive to tenants and customers.
- An application must be sought from the Economic Development Office of the City of Sidney (1115 13th Avenue). The proposed project will then be reviewed by the Sidney Historic Preservation Board. If the board feels it meets the requirements of the program, the funding request will be reserved on a first come, first serve basis. Applicant has three months to start work or the application becomes null and void, unless waived by the SHPB.
- Reimbursement (up to 75% with a maximum reimbursement of $20,000) will be completed at project completion, based on invoices.
- Reimbursement is 75% if contractors are from Cheyenne County and materials purchased are from Cheyenne County businesses. If an out of county business supplying materials or work is a Cheyenne County Chamber of Commerce member it also qualifies at the 75% rate. All non-qualifying contractors and purchased materials can be reimbursed at a 35% rate. *If restoring original windows, the rate is 65%.
- Volunteer labor can count for up to $1,000 of the project at a $10 an hour rate. This can be volunteer groups, the building owners or managers / laborers employed by the business.
Application & Process
- An application (PDF) for a Certificate of Approval and grant funding can be downloaded or a hard copy of the application can be picked up at the Economic Development Office at City Hall. *A Certificate of Approval MUST be sought prior to commencement of work.
- Historic Preservation Board meets monthly at noon at City Hall. Meetings are open to the public. Applications are due one week prior to the Historic Preservation Board meeting.
- Design Guidelines (PDF) are available at the Economic Development Office or from the Chief Building Official at City Hall.