The Sewer Department employs one full-time employee and maintains over 50 miles of sewer main and five lift stations. The Sewer Department is under the direction of the Public Services Director.
Our Department provides 24 hour service to the City customers. Employees are on call to respond to your service needs.
- Responsible for cleaning, inspecting and repairing the City's sanitary sewer system.
- Implements a comprehensive preventative maintenance program, providing cleaning maintenance of sanitary sewers on a scheduled basis.
- Jet truck shoots high pressure water, up to 2000 psi, into the sewer main.
- Crew jets from one manhole to the next manhole approximately 350 feet upstream. This knocks out clogged sewers that cause backups and odors, preventing flooded basements and property damage.
- On going preventative maintenance reduces stoppage incidents and complaints.
- Controls roots by applying a mide herbicide foam within the sanitary sewer to kill the roots in a confined area of the sanitary sewer.
- Herbicide is effective in killing problem roots, leaving the tree unharmed.
- Herbicide is approved by the EPA as acceptable root control product.
Internal TV Inspection
- As preventative maintenance, a sealed TV camera is mounted on a device which is pulled by an electric winch through the sanitary sewer.
- The images are viewed by inspection personnel above ground, recording any sewer defects or deficiencies.
- TV crew is responsible for inspecting all new constructed sanitary sewers before placed into service.
- Average repairs detected by the camera is two to five lines per year.
Infiltration / Inflow Removal and Reduction
- An on going task for the Sewer Department is locating and removing extraneous water that enters the sanitary sewer through broken pipe joints, leaky manholes, illegally connected roof drains and fountain drains or through cross connections with storm sewers.
- Excessive Infiltration / Inflow can overload the sewer system and cause basement flooding and overload the sewage treatment facility.